A. Gary Anderson
Graduate School of Management

Q&A: How To Get the Most Out of Grad School

By seizing strategic opportunities, MBA student Sonal Agrawal ’24 maximized the value of her master’s degree
By Laurie McLaughlin |
PMBA 2022 Agrawal Sonal

For Sonal Agrawal ’24 MBA, moving the United States from her home in India was a big leap, but she was determined to supercharge her career with a master’s degree at UCR. The COVID- 19 pandemic was a time of reflection and big decision-making for her, and the choice to take that leap paid off beginning the first day at UCR.

“From the moment I stepped into my first information systems class, I had found my calling,” says Agrawal of the course taught by Rich Yueh, assistant professor of teaching in information systems, at the School of Business. “Coming from a technical background, the course resonated deeply with me, strengthening my inclination toward product management. It cleared many of my doubts and solidified my career path.”

In the years before she set foot on UCR’s campus, Agrawal earned a bachelor’s in engineering in computer science at the University of Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya in India, and embarked on a career—starting as a system engineer and then as a SAP (systems, applications, and products in data processing) associate manager—with various companies, including EY, PwC, Atos, and Tata Consultancy Services.

At UCR’s A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management (AGSM), Agrawal intentionally immersed herself in myriad opportunities that would fine-tune her understanding of the culture, augment her knowledge of the industry, sharpen her technical skills, and polish her leadership capabilities as she now heads toward her immediate goal as a product manager. “I’m excited about the prospect of working closely with diverse clients to develop solutions addressing complex challenges,” she says. “My long-term vision extends beyond technical proficiency: I aspire to be a leader known for strategic acumen and empathy. I believe in leading teams toward shared goals while ensuring their well-being and professional growth.”

Her studies and deliberate involvement will get her there: “AGSM is focused on innovation, and UCR is a place where diversity is celebrated, and everyone’s voice is heard,” she says. “The hands-on learning opportunities and the network I built—thanks to UCR’s strong ties with industry leaders—provided solid steps toward achieving my career goals.

“I learned from the best, was challenged, and found support every step of the way. Each of our journeys is unique, and comparison is futile. We own our stories, our achievements, our failures. We set our pace, and with the belief in ourselves, nothing is impossible.

Sonal Agrawal ’24 at 2024 Global Case Competition

Agrawal shares her strategies for maximizing her AGSM career:

You have said, “Outside the classroom I thrived in extracurricular activities.” Which do you feel most strengthened your academic experience?

With the Programming Club, I was treasurer and vice president, and I learned to lead and mentor, assisting peers in improving their tech skills. These roles helped me understand the nuances of team dynamics and the importance of effective leadership, and I connected with essential networks, like Blackstone Launchpad. I was also director of the first-ever Programming Club AI competition in 2024; the event challenged students to analyze real-time business data, use LLM models for analysis, and make data-driven business decisions. It was a fantastic opportunity for participants to refine their leadership and public speaking skills, advance their tech knowledge, and master the art of data-driven decision-making.

As a member of the AGSM Career Advisory Council, I mentored first-year grad students on their academic and professional paths. Understanding the unique challenges faced by international students, I offered guidance rooted in empathy and my firsthand experience. With the AGSM Student Success team’s leadership and mentorship committee, the goal is to boost confidence and provide strategic advice for academics, on-campus employment, internships, and sometimes, personal matters, and I hosted one intern panel event in the fall quarter.

With the AGSM Women in Business club, I started as marketing executive and then communications director; we created a supportive environment for aspiring female leaders through events like case competitions, speaker series, and collaborations with other UC campuses.

I also volunteered with Americas’ SAP Users’ Group (ASUG), where I presented my experiences from working with Big 4 companies like PwC and EY in the SAP domain. I also discussed how SAP is leveraging AI to upgrade systems and solve business problems. Through ASUG, I built a network and connected with multiple mentors who have provided guidance, support, and empowerment.

During your internships, what were your responsibilities? You first interned with the National Science Foundation and then two internships with Willmeng Construction, including as a tech product manager intern for data platforms.

With Willmeng, I initially completed a rotational internship focused on business strategy for real estate using data analytics tools, like Power BI visualization platform, for informed business decisions, and I designed marketing materials for public sector U.S. clients. The tech product manager internship was an exceptional opportunity to integrate my previous SAP technology work experience in India with the business acumen I developed through my MBA studies. In this role, I was deeply involved in the entire life cycle of product strategy, from initial concept to market launch. My responsibilities included overseeing design and implementation phases for product development and product demonstrations, and throughout the internship, I leveraged my technical expertise with strategic business goals.

During my time at NSF, I worked as a marketing intern for a startup, responsible for crafting and executing strategies to build brand awareness, drive growth, and optimize digital marketing. I also conducted market research and client interviews to inform our decisions and refine our approach.

You competed in multiple contests with UCR winning teams, including the International Collegiate Business Strategy Competition (ICBSC) and Global Case Competition hosted by USC and the UC Davis Food and Agriculture Business Challenge. What did you gain from participating?

In the ICBSC business simulation game, I learned how a business operates by making informed decisions on product pricing and advertising strategy. I also realized that commitment to staff and customers is essential for achieving higher value in the business world.

In the USC Global Case Competition, I tackled financial and environments, social, and governance criteria, explored high-net-worth client strategies, and applied MBA skills. Competing with students from around the world, I enhanced my cross-functional collaboration, boosted my confidence, and gained leadership experience.

Participating in the UC Davis case competition opened my eyes to the intricacies of the food and agriculture industry. I learned to adapt to new sectors, manage stress, and apply strategic thinking. The challenge of developing a practical, cost-effective business solution was exhilarating and instrumental in bridging the gap between academic theories and real-world applications. I also learned the importance of meticulous planning and understanding customer needs to develop effective business and financial models.

Besides your experience in information systems with Professor Yueh, what other courses stood out for you?

The capstone course with Management Lecturer Alexandru Roman was particularly engaging because it involved working with real data from actual companies. Each week, we crafted presentations, gaining insights directly from company employees, which broadened our understanding of business strategies from an entrepreneurial perspective. His constructive feedback enhanced the real-world experience. Professor Sean Jasso was another significant mentor. Serving as a teaching assistant for him, participating in competitions, and learning about business ethics profoundly influenced my professional outlook and ethical considerations in business.

The school’s focus on innovation really spoke to me, especially because the professors are teachers, mentors, and experienced professionals bringing real-world insights into the classroom. I found support every step of the way.